I came to this "city" for the first time at so young an age that I don't remember it. This town has seen three generations of Hugheys. My grandparents came to SWU (known then by another name). This is where they met each other. My grandmother was a teenager from Alabama. My grandfather was a veteran of WWII, coming to college on the GI Bill. When my grandmother caught wind of this new guy on campus, she decided to "throw her hat in the ring." She got her man. This led to the birth of my dad, their second son. Dad came to Central Wesleyan College, and this is where he met my mom. She was a transfer from North Carolina. Then there came me and my sister (and my brother, but he's still in high school). I came first, and Laurs came the next year. By this time, the school was SWU. Therefore, making the three generations of Hugheys at this place. SWU is in my blood. Now I've decided to stick around for awhile. I'm attracted to the familiarity of the place. There isn't much to do in town; you have to go to Anderson or Greenville for that (preferably G-ville). But my life isn't in GA with the parents anymore. That never has been home. Laurens is out of the question; I couldn't bear going back there. Although for a while I thought I would not want to be anywhere other than Laurens. So, Central becomes my launch pad into the real world. Enough security, with my parents a just a little over two hours away and other family members in town, to not be a threatening place to take my first steps as a grown-up. But enough distance, with the parents being over two hours away, that I can grow. Central will be my home for at least a year. So, here's to taking steps, making mistakes, and living my life.
Song of the Moment: "If I Could Turn Back Time" by Cher
No comments:
Post a Comment