Monday, May 30, 2005

Love me some PARIS

Back in the states. Great trip to Paris, France. Thanks Dad and Mom. That was the best graduation gift ever!!! Dad and I took off for France on Thursday, May 19. We flew to Newark, and then flew Air India to Europe. Now, I apprectiate the fact that the kind people of Air India got us to and from Paris safely, but the culture shock I experienced on the plane was unexpected. The food was Indian, and most of the passengers were Indian (on their way to and from the United States). We were unfortunate enough to not have stocked up on some snacks before the first flight, but you can bet your life we took some food back with us.

Paris itself was better than expected. We did the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, Sacred Heart, Versailles, etc. It was great. I finally got to go up to the top of the Eiffel Tower (although it took going back a second time, on this trip). Dad and I were able to work the metro system w/ limited problems. We ate at McDonalds only once (the day after we arrived). We were able to communicate w/ the French. I would say it was a total success. We drank a lot of coffee (cafe au lait, to be exact). We ate a lot of sandwiches on croissants. I also drank a lot of coke...I had to have something familiar.

Life is weird. Ever since I was a small child, I have wanted to travel. I didn't know how that was going to happen, but I knew that somehow I wanted to make it happen. In the past three years, I have gone out of the country every year. The school's London trip (my sophomore year); the Zambia missions trip (last year); and Paris (last week). Maybe I shouldn't say life is weird, but that God is good. I can't wait to see where else I will be able to go. Italy is pretty high on the list, but then again almost anywhere in Europe is acceptable and desirable.

Now that I'm back in the country, I have to resume my job search. There is a lead for a job at Clemson. Hopefully that will work out. I'm pretty sure working at Clemson will sound better to family and friends who inquire about my job situation, than say Cato or Blockbuster. But right now, I'm just not that picky. I told someone the other day that I am looking at this next year as my "year off." A year for searching. I am at a loss at what God wants me to do (career wise) with the rest of my life.

The Cambodia team is supposed to be back on Wednesday, I think. I am looking forward to seeing Cary, whom I think is spending the night...so that will help with the crazy boredom.

I guess that is all for now. Happy Memorial Day, and such!! Here's to wishing I was at a cookout or something right now.

Song of the Moment: "Letter in the Mail" by James Taylor

No comments: