Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Five Stops Between Raleigh and Central

I had a week and two days off from work. Most of that time was used up in traveling, family gatherings, and little thing called Luke and Lindsay's wedding. All in all it has been a good break. Today is my last day off. I do enjoy the morning hours of a day off. Being able to lay in bed even after I've awoken, and then to meander into the kitchen to brew a pot of coffee, and then to drink my coffee and eat my breakfast while watching Dawson's Creek or Regis and Kelly or, as was the case today, to watch the E! True Hollywood Story of Johnny Depp.

Christmas in Georgia was good. I traveled down on Friday after work. Saturday was spent at home with one trip to Walmart where I proceeded to get angry at several people because for some reason they didn't understand that there are certain directions you are supposed to drive down the aisles. Stupid people. But I survived and let go of that anger. We went to Christ Mass at the Episcopal church (lasted 2hrs). And then we let Daddy open one of his gifts from us before we went to bed. Christmas morning, we got up, opened presents, and did the traditional Hughey Christmast morning breakfast. Then we had church at 12 noon, after which we loaded up the cars and left for South Carolina. We were at my grandparents' house until Wednesday morning. We had Christmas dinner w/ the g-rents and my dad's cousin and his wife. My grandmother sure can cook (as I've mentioned before). Her dressing is to die for, and, of course, there was the famous Mac and Cheese. Wednesday brought more travel. We went to NC to see my mom's mom. I ate lunch with the fam, and then I headed on to Raleigh. Met the girls at Lindsay's house before we headed to the hotel. Ruth Anne, Cary, Jules and I took Lindz out to eat at Bahama Breeze. We wanted to some more fun things, but Lindsay just wanted to hang at the hotel room, so this is what we did. Good times. On Thursday, we had the Bridesmaids' Luncheon at the Cheesecake Factory. I had no idea that place was quite so fancy. I had the Thai Chicken Pasta, and it was delicious. Julie had a pizza, and she offered me some. As I was taking a piece, the toppings were coming off, so I tried to cut the toppings away from the rest of the pizza. As I was trying to do this, the plate slipped from the table. As it was falling, Julie was able to catch the pizza, but the plate died a loud loud death. I was so embarrased. I couldn't even speak for a moment. The waiters were on the clean-up like white on rice. But other than that, I loved The Cheesecake Factory. Rehearsal and rehearsal dinner went well. On the day of the wedding, we went to the hair salon to get our hair done. I just had mine straightened, so it didn't take long at all. After Lindsay's hair was finished, we headed back to the Harris' house, and were wisked away in a limo driven by a guy with a mullet. Pictures and the wait were a bit trying, but then the ceremony was great. The reception was fun; the food was good. Luke and Lindsay are married.

On the trip home from Raleigh, Lauren rode with me and Kristyn followed us. We stopped a total of five time and what should have been a five hour drive turned into a six hour journey. But we made it home. I rented Sweet Home Alabama, and Laurs andI watched it, but I ended up falling asleep halfway through the movie, and that was my New Year's Eve. Oh well, there's always next year.

And that was my Christmas break.

Oh yeah, something happened while we were at my grandparents' house. On Christmas night, my grandfather prayed for the meal. My Papa has not prayed out loud in almost four years. During my freshman year of college (spring semester), he had a stroke, and since then Nana has had to do all the praying, for meals and whatnot. But on December 25, 2005, my papa prayed. It was like a miracle. I didn't realize how much I had missed hearing him pray.


Raleigh to Central soundtrack:

Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
Marc Broussard, The Killers, and Gabriel Young - mix cd
90s pop, Aqualung, and random songs - mix cd
Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams
John Mayer - Room for Squares
and a tiny bit of the radio

1 comment:

Stevan said...

I enjoyed reading this Carmen. I even teared up a bit. It's good to get caught up a bit on the happenings in ur life!